What is 301 Redirect
301 Redirect is an HTTP standing code of a redirected web page. It is an internet server perform which manages the whole or everlasting redirection of a web page. It tells the customers and serps that the unique web page is not obtainable and all the knowledge is shifted to a brand new web page.
Thus, 301 redirect helps a web site to redirect its customers and serps to its newest model from its previous or unique URL. So, it is a technique of forwarding one URL to a distinct URL.
- Suggested Read: Google Tag Manager Interview Questions
- Suggested Read: Digital Marketing Interview Questions And Answers
301 redirects can be utilized in the next circumstances
- You have shifted your site to a new domain, and you want to make the transition as smooth as possible.
- When your site can be accessed through different URLs, for example; user can reach to your homepage in multiple ways such as http://example.com/home, http://home.example.com or www.example.com. In this case, you can choose one of your URL as your main or preferred (canonical) destination, and use 301 redirect to send traffic from the other URLs to your preferred URL.
- When two websites are merged and the links to outdated URLs are required to be redirected to the correct pages.
How to do a 301 redirect
You can do 301 redirect in some ways, nonetheless, the commonest technique is to edit your website’s .htaccess file.